Skip to main content

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute.

For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following:

25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces)
1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!)
100 vinyl non-powdered gloves
5 dozen eggs
1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!)
2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye
1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes)
1 party size bag chips
4.5 dozen cookies
plastic tarp/sheeting
plastic tablecloth
shaving cream
crayons
gemstone stickers


I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs.



I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would leave that part without dye. White crayons make it look like there was nothing there. Colored crayons left their color behind.
The gemstone stickers worked well to give a polka dot effect to the eggs. If you put them on before dyeing, dyed the egg, then removed the stickers once they were dried, you got a white spotted egg. You could also, given enough patience, dye the egg, dry it, put the stickers on and then dye a darker color for a two-toned egg polka dotted egg! I also attempted to use twine on the egg. It didn't w


We used regular spoons to dip the eggs and pull them out. We also used the spoons to indicate whether there was already an egg in the cup since you couldn't always tell. A spoon in the cup meant the cup was "occupied."

My only major change in this portion would be to label each color. The cups don't always show what color will come out on the egg. I thought I was dyeing a red egg. It came out bubblegum pink. A pretty surprise!



We also did shaving cream eggs. It's a fun technique where you put a layer of shaving cream into a glass dish, add drops of Neon food dye, then swirl with toothpicks. You roll the eggs in the mixture, let it dry for at least 5 minutes, and you get a "tie-dyed" looking egg!





The youth loved this! Most of the eggs ended up getting this treatment. The only issue is that you can't eat the ones dyed in the shaving cream. The shells are porous enough that chemicals from the shaving cream can leach through onto the egg itself.

                
Next time, I'll buy Cool Whip instead of shaving cream. I'd recommend at least 3 of the biggest tubs you can find. By using Cool Whip instead of shaving cream, the eggs remain edible. Also, because it was so popular, I want to add more glass containers so the youth can have more artistic freedom (and less waiting)! Side note: glass containers work best because they won't pick up the food dye.

The tarp and tablecloth made for quick clean up and guaranteed there would be no stains on the table top. I put the tarp on the floor, under the table, and the tablecloth went on like normal.

Other changes I would make would be to remember music! There were times the youth were so focused on their eggs that it was dead silent in the room. I'd also make it more of a party by asking each youth to bring something to eat, although the cookies and chips were fine.
A major change would be the number of eggs. Next time, I would do 10 or 15 dozen. Two families brought in about 2 dozen extra (total) and we just had enough for the 7 youth there.






One youth dyed three eggs and then sat down for the remainder of the time we were there. So, for those who are there for the fellowship, and not necessarily the eggs, I'd like to find some other activities for them.

Finally, this was a fun hangout, but I'd like to incorporate more theology. Why dye Easter eggs? What do eggs have to do with Easter? (That's for another post, though)

What questions do you have about this get-together? Would you add anything?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the