Skip to main content

Hope For Today - and Tomorrow



On November 8, my stomach was in knots as I watched the election results. I was shocked and surprised. I watched the numbers flip flop so many times in just a single state. It was close. Too close.

On November 9, I woke up and found out the new president-elect. I was surprised. I was also deeply disappointed. I had listened to some of the things Trump had said. The hateful words that were said on the campaign trail horrified me. About the same time, I had heard about his acceptance speech. I heard that it was tactful, almost graceful, that missing from it was all of the hateful things he had said for over a year.

November 9, I also had to wake up really early and get on a plane. I was scared, not of the plane ride - those are nothing to me at this point. The election results scared me. Not because Trump was elected. But because so many people had voted for him - either because of the hate-filled things he said, or in spite of them. So, as I contemplated what this meant for our country, for my beloved friends who will be significantly impacted by the hate that has been incited, and for my God-given neighbors (which means all of humanity), I had to go spend time with hundreds of strangers for the next 7 hours.

Honestly, that was the best thing I could have done. Life moved along. People were in all sort of moods, but smiles seemed to be most prevalent. No one was mean, or hateful. In fact, it seemed to me as though people were even nicer than usual. No one acted entitled. No one acted as if they were better than another. People were just kind and compassionate. 

I was watching "Dead Poets Society" this morning. The character, John Keating (played by the late Robin Williams), had the students stand on the desk. He told them that sometimes, you need to gain another perspective on what's before you. Once on the plane, and in the air, I gained another perspective. We flew over trees, homes, roads - but what stuck out to me was a baseball diamond. It was so tiny from where I was. I could see the whole thing with just a single glance. Yet, people run around it with some amount of effort to play the game. Things have a way of changing when you step back. What normally looks like a struggle, simply doesn't anymore. Seeing the world - my world - from a radically new perspective helped put everything (the election included) into, well, perspective.



This election campaign was hard. The election results have revealed that this nation is divided. We can no longer honestly say the Pledge of Allegiance. Not when the last line contains "One nation ... indivisible..." We are divided. We all know that now. It is painfully and abundantly clear. But there is hope. There is so much hope. I posted an observation on my Facebook page last night. Within an hour, it had exceeded my most reacted to post in my history of being on Facebook. I'll share it here:

Y'all, I think we're going to be okay. I'm sitting on the plane. A young family, who doesn't speak English, got split up in the seating. Several people worked together to help them sit together. That's what God's kingdom looks like. That is what makes America great!

There is hope. I've seen it already. We have to be willing to come to each other, approach each other, out of a state of love and compassion. The only way to overcome this deep, hurting divide is to approach each other with kindness. Christ calls us to "love our neighbors as ourselves." Sometimes, I feel like we don't quite get what that means, or what it looks like. Sometimes, it's hard to remember that everyone has their own story, their own reasons for things. It's time we all replace anger, fear, and hurtful ways with kindness, compassion, and deep Christian/Godly love for each other. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This World... Not of it.

What does that phrase mean? I've heard a lot of interpretations. One is that we, as Christians, should shy away from any and all influences of this world. We should not listen to any non-Christian music, we should not watch TV shows that do not have a "redeeming" purpose, and so on. While this is a worthy idea, it's not exactly sustainable. It also does not give us the ability to be "in this world" and instead creates a wall between Christians and "the world." This divides us from all others. If we are divided, separated, from the rest of the world, how can we possibly serve it? I've recently come to believe that "in the world, not of it" has a much deeper meaning than simply avoiding the sinful influences of the world. The world, especially now, will have us believe that we are in constant danger. There is a continual bombardment of messages telling us how bad the world is now. We are told that Muslims are the enemy. Immigrants are...

Experiences

I was talking to someone recently who voted opposite of me. She gave me her reasoning. Then told me "I've had enough experience to know." I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say. I felt like I'd been told that my own experiences weren't enough to understand "grown up" politics. She's only 3 years older than me! She also has no idea of what I've experienced.  Everyone's experiences in life shape who they are and how they see the world. Here are some of mine. I've sat with a teenaged mother as her not-even-a-week-old baby lay dying in his hospital bed. I've comforted a Buddhist woman whose Christian husband was in ICU. I've sat with a Hindu mother as she tried desperately to understand God's role in her baby's diagnosis with special needs. I've read Psalms with a Jewish man who was, rightfully, angry. I've moved 5 times in 5 years - 3 of those times was in one year. I've walked the beginning stag...

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the ...