Skip to main content

Holy Emotions - Reflections on Holy Week

Symbols of Holy Week


Holy Week is an interesting time for me. I feel multiple emotions, sometimes all at once. I always find it strange to say I love this week, so usually I don't. Saying I love this week isn't quite the sentiment I'm trying to convey. I find deep meaning in this week. It starts with Palm Sunday, we have a couple of days with no church services, and then things hit the ground running. In the congregation I'm a member of, we have a Christian-ized Seder meal on the Wednesday of Holy Week. I call it Christian-ized because the end of the Seder speaks of the Last Supper and goes through what Jesus did and said as part of the meal. For me, this helps to bring things into perspective. Knowing the meaning and symbolic foods that were used at Jesus' last supper, his last celebration of the Passover, gives me a better understanding of the celebration of Communion, or Eucharist. I'm still rather unfamiliar with the deep and rich symbolism in the Seder, at this point. I have only attended two. Each time I attend, I find a new connection and a deeper meaning.

The last supper - celebration of seder

Maundy Thursday is the next day in the sequence - also called the Triduum. It is the day we celebrate and remember Jesus' actual last supper, as well as his betrayal. It begins a somber couple of days. We celebrate Communion, but focus on the betrayal Judas perpetrated. There is so much to find in this. What I keep coming back to, though, is the mercy, grace, and forgiveness the Son of God shows. Jesus knows exactly who it is who will betray him to be put to death. Yet he still washes Judas's feet. He performs an act that had been reserved for servants. He was the disciples' teacher - they called him master. Jesus served the one who betrayed him. He also chose to continue eating with Judas. I don't know about you, but if I knew someone was going to betray me - even if the end result is something less than death - I wouldn't want to wash their feet, let alone eat with them. I'd do everything I could to avoid that person. Maundy Thursday takes me by the hand, sits me down, and tells me an oh-so-familiar story to remind me the infinite depth of God's love, grace, and mercy.

Jesus washes a disciple's feet


Today is Good Friday. It continues the somber tone that ended Maundy Thursday's service. There's really nothing to celebrate, so to speak. We remember the torture that Jesus endured after his betrayal. The beatings, the mocking. There are glimmers of hope within the story. Simon of Cyrene, whether he volunteered or - as many in volunteer organizations will say - whether he was volun-told (that is, someone volunteered him) carried the cross for Jesus for the last part of the journey to where it would be used. After Jesus die, Joseph of Aramathea offered his tomb for Jesus. As far as I know, he was a stranger and had never met Jesus before, but he perhaps knew who he was. Good Friday is the day Jesus dies. As Christians, we know this is not the end. We know Jesus is resurrected and lives. But, that is on Easter. Right now, we remember his death. Today, above any of the other days in Holy Week, I am filled with a myriad of emotions. I'm sad about the tortures Jesus endured, that Judas betrayed him, that Jesus was killed. But I am also happy. I realize this had to happen in order to fulfill Scripture. I know that Jesus will be back - in the Gospel story he will be back on Sunday - and in current time, Jesus will return one day. Mostly, I am happy that what Holy Week and Easter means is that death is not permanent. Not for any of us. We have the promise of eternal life because of the events of Holy Week and, more importantly, Easter.

Awaiting the resurrection.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute. For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following: 25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces) 1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!) 100 vinyl non-powdered gloves 5 dozen eggs 1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!) 2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye 1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes) 1 party size bag chips 4.5 dozen cookies plastic tarp/sheeting plastic tablecloth shaving cream crayons gemstone stickers I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs. I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would le