Skip to main content

Perceptions

A pastor friend from seminary contacted me to lead her congregation while she was out of town in July last year. I was honored to be entrusted with them. The following is based on the transcript of the sermon I preached that morning. It is based on Matthew 11:16-19, 25-30, which can be found here.

Today’s Gospel is all about perceptions. First, it speaks of people’s perceptions of others,
then moves to our own perception of discipleship. In the first verses, it speaks of John being rejected because he was different.


It then speaks of Jesus being rejected because of the people he spent time with. Jesus had a habit of spending time with people who were undesirable. He spent time with people who had been rejected from society, those we sometimes call the outcast or marginalized. The religious leaders of the day would not spend time with people who were deemed sinners. We recognize now that everyone sins, which is why we speak the order of Confession and Forgiveness every Sunday in the ELCA Lutheran Church.


Jesus wasn’t here to hobnob. He wasn’t here to impress the rich, or the elite, or the leaders. He came to dwell among sinners. How many times have any of us hesitated to spend time with someone because it might make you look bad, it might damage your reputation?


There’s a quote I came across a while ago by Joshua Harris, a pastor and author




It’s speaking about Jesus’ entire ministry. But, it really fits with the first part of this particular Gospel reading. In verse 19, it points out that the religious leaders, “this generation,” rejected Jesus because of who he spent time with, and they failed to see his actions that pointed to him being Christ, the Messiah. With that in mind, who would you hang out with more often? Who are the people you would hang out with that would ruin your reputation? When I think about who fits that idea for me, I think about who would make certain religious leaders gasp if they found out I went to lunch, dinner, or coffee with them.


Those are the people we should be spending time with, extending a friendly welcome. Think about those who are spoken of and treated like “the other.” Think about how you might be able to shine Christ’s light in their lives. Maybe it's a homeless person who is asking for food or money. Perhaps they're really asking to be noticed, to be seen as human. Perhaps it's someone who has a disease that labels them negatively. It could be it's someone who lives in a way that some may not consider "Christian." Each person seen as an outcast or an outsider feels it. It's not something that most people are oblivious to in their lives. I'm wondering how we can each ease the burden of that knowledge for the people we encounter in our daily lives.



The Gospel continues with Jesus inviting us to take his yoke upon each of us. His invitation is to all of us who are weary, carrying heavy burdens. Each of our burdens are different,
and none are less important than any other in the eyes of God.


Some of you, readers, may be struggling with illness, with a broken heart. Some may be struggling spiritually. Some may be caring for a loved one, and it’s taking a toll both physically and mentally, making you weary. Some may be struggling with finances. Some may be struggling in ways that only God knows.


Jesus’ yoke is not something extra to bear. When we yoke ourselves to Christ, he shoulders our burdens along with us. His yoke lightens our load. He is strong, gentle, loving. Sharing our load with Jesus lessens the weight bearing down on us and makes it more bearable. When God asks us to bear difficult situations, we are not asked to do it alone. In prayer, ask for guidance, wisdom, and strength. Ask for the tools to equip you for the task God is calling you to do. Remember that God is with us always.

When we are yoked with Christ, we are also drawn nearer to him. When I think of a yoke, I think of one made for oxen. They are generally no more than 14 inches, just over a foot, wide. That doesn’t leave a lot of room between those who are shouldering the yoke. 

Source. I highly recommend reading the article, as well. The link will open in a new window.


When we take up Christ’s yoke, we are drawn nearer to him in a spiritual sense. We begin to find a deeper, more meaningful relationship with him.


He also invites us to learn from him, and promises rest for our souls. He wants us to learn Godly love. To love those we encounter in our lives, as Jesus loves us. He wants us to learn his gentleness.This gentleness is found in kind words, in patience, in forgiveness. And not just with others, but also with ourselves. It can be so easy to extend gentleness to others,
even complete strangers, long before we extend it to ourselves. It is important to remember that all of God’s children should enjoy Godly gentleness. 

Jesus also tells us that sharing his yoke gives our souls time to rest. When we share our burdens with God, spiritually, it is similar to sharing a heavy load with a friend here on earth. There are things that you might be able to move yourself, but it’s SO much easier when someone comes along to help!There’s no reason to bear the burdens of this world alone.
While Jesus says his yoke is easy, the path of discipleship is not an easy one at times. Sometimes the call God places on our hearts is completely opposite of what we believe to be true of ourselves.

I grew up as a reserved, somewhat shy person. I kept to myself and rarely approached people I didn’t know. After I graduated from seminary, I did an internship as a chaplain at a hospital system. My first day, the staff chaplain showed me to one of the floors I was assigned to and left me with instructions.I was to go into each patient’s room and introduce myself and explain my role. I wanted to crawl under the nurse’s station and never come out.
But, I had a job to do, and God had placed me there for a reason. Eventually, greeting new patients became second nature to me. God worked through me, and my patients, many times during that internship. I grew to know God better. Christ’s yoke began to feel more comfortable.


There are many ways each of us can take up Christ’s yoke and learn from him. Through daily Scripture study, daily prayer, fellowship at church, community outreach, and the various ministries your congregation has to offer. Extending a welcome to those who might sully your reputation Being more gentle with yourself, your loved ones, and strangers, and an openness to hearing God speak to you, as examples.


There are many ways our souls can find rest through Christ’s yoke, as well. Some are similar to learning from Christ. Daily prayer - which also offers a time to simply rest in God, spending time with members of the congregation, taking time here and there to do something which allows you to more fully see God.

Jesus’ yoke won’t always feel comfortable, it won’t always feel easy, but it is always good for us. It is a deep, restful, peaceful feeling to know that none of us ever have to carry our heavy burdens alone. Jesus is right there beside us,helping to shoulder the burden, speaking gentle words, teaching us to be humble, and sharing God’s love with us. Jesus has offered his yoke to each of us - won’t you accept his invitation?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute. For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following: 25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces) 1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!) 100 vinyl non-powdered gloves 5 dozen eggs 1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!) 2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye 1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes) 1 party size bag chips 4.5 dozen cookies plastic tarp/sheeting plastic tablecloth shaving cream crayons gemstone stickers I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs. I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would le