Skip to main content

Sheer silence



One chilly morning, the power went out before I was awake. I was sleeping with an air purifier and the ceiling fan going, plus the heat. It seems counter intuitive, but I enjoy the airflow from the fan; I digress. The sudden silence from none of those things, which have become seemingly unimportant noises in my room, is what woke me up. It's amazing how loud silence can be sometimes.

It reminds me of Elijah's story in 1 Kings. In chapter 19, Elijah has fled the town where he had been prophesying because he was afraid he would be killed. He went into the wilderness and fell asleep under a tree, he had a vision, and when he woke up he wandered a bit further and found a cave. He fell asleep there, as well. The word of the Lord came to Elijah and asked him why he was so far from the town. Elijah explained that he felt he had done everything he could and now was afraid for his life. Then, in verses 11-13a:

[God] said, “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. 13When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.
 Silence is so elusive. When my dog was in the early days of healing from back surgery this summer, she couldn't walk well. I had to hold her in a sling when she needed to take care of business. About 2 weeks in, she just could not sleep. I spent a lot of time taking her to the backyard at 2 AM and 3 AM that week. I noticed, even in the middle of the night, it was not quiet at all. The neighbors' air conditioning units were humming away. I could hear an owl calling. The frogs were singing, and the crickets were chirping. Silence just isn't part of the Earth's usual dealings. When the sheer silence was experienced by Elijah, he took notice. He knew it was God, probably because silence is so unusual.

Sometimes, it's what isn't heard and what isn't said that seems so very loud. It's so counter to our usual experiences that we just have to take notice. God is counter to what we expect. Love no matter what. Love in the face of hate. Peace in the midst of turmoil. Safety where there is none. Silence in the midst of noise. When something seems counter to all the negative that surrounds you, take notice. Go out and stand in the entrance of the cave, ready to see what God has in store, and hear was she has to say. You might be surprised what you discover in the sheer silence.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute. For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following: 25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces) 1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!) 100 vinyl non-powdered gloves 5 dozen eggs 1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!) 2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye 1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes) 1 party size bag chips 4.5 dozen cookies plastic tarp/sheeting plastic tablecloth shaving cream crayons gemstone stickers I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs. I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would le