Skip to main content

Messes



I've been helping to straighten out the supply closets at my church. There is an abundance of items, from chalk, to tape, googly eyes, to thread. It's been a slow process for Laura, who started this project. I volunteered to take a lump of seemingly hopelessly tangled embroidery floss and thread home with me and turn it back into useful supplies. Some of them were easy to free from the mess. They immediately got wound onto a cardboard bobbin. Others were ridiculously tangled. Some pieces really weren't useful, but they still needed to be untangled from the mess before being tossed away.




There was a particularly difficult brown thread. At one point, someone suggested that I simply cut the portions of the thread that was so tangled. But, then it would be less useful for whatever purpose it would be selected for. Instead, I took about 30 minutes to untie, untangle, and unwind the thread from itself. 

Life can feel like that lump of strings, threads, and floss. At first glance, it's a hopeless mess and can be tempting to simply toss everything and hope to start over. But, when you really look at it, you can see some parts are just perfect the way they are and really aren't such a mess. Those are the parts of your life you might need to tidy up a bit, but they get a little extra love and set aside as things that don't need so much attention. As you continue to examine your life, you might find things that just are not useful to your future. Maybe they're bad habits, or simply things in your life that at one point were good and helpful but now have no real place in your life, or maybe there are people that aren't having a positive impact. Clear those out, and you have time to focus on the things that really need attention - those things that seem so hopelessly tangled that it might be tempting to toss them away with the definitely not useful parts.


When you really examine the tangles, you'll see that this piece is salvageable, it's just going to take some work and time. So, you (metaphorically, or maybe literally) sit down and slowly begin untangling. You move it this way, then that way, then back again. Some other knots might creep up while you're working on others. So, you stop and untangle that area before it gets too bad. You might have to abandon what you started to work on completely and start work on the complete opposite end of the ball of mess. Then, ah! You can more easily untangle the first part. Soon, that big mess that you thought impossible to save is no longer a mess. You're able to finish tidying it up, and set it aside. Eventually, you'll be able to untangle all of life's messes. All you need is patience, love, and God.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This World... Not of it.

What does that phrase mean? I've heard a lot of interpretations. One is that we, as Christians, should shy away from any and all influences of this world. We should not listen to any non-Christian music, we should not watch TV shows that do not have a "redeeming" purpose, and so on. While this is a worthy idea, it's not exactly sustainable. It also does not give us the ability to be "in this world" and instead creates a wall between Christians and "the world." This divides us from all others. If we are divided, separated, from the rest of the world, how can we possibly serve it? I've recently come to believe that "in the world, not of it" has a much deeper meaning than simply avoiding the sinful influences of the world. The world, especially now, will have us believe that we are in constant danger. There is a continual bombardment of messages telling us how bad the world is now. We are told that Muslims are the enemy. Immigrants are...

Experiences

I was talking to someone recently who voted opposite of me. She gave me her reasoning. Then told me "I've had enough experience to know." I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say. I felt like I'd been told that my own experiences weren't enough to understand "grown up" politics. She's only 3 years older than me! She also has no idea of what I've experienced.  Everyone's experiences in life shape who they are and how they see the world. Here are some of mine. I've sat with a teenaged mother as her not-even-a-week-old baby lay dying in his hospital bed. I've comforted a Buddhist woman whose Christian husband was in ICU. I've sat with a Hindu mother as she tried desperately to understand God's role in her baby's diagnosis with special needs. I've read Psalms with a Jewish man who was, rightfully, angry. I've moved 5 times in 5 years - 3 of those times was in one year. I've walked the beginning stag...

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the ...