Skip to main content

A THRILL of Hope



This year, I've been opening an Advent calendar of teas. It's been a nice way to stop, usually in the afternoon of a busy day at work, and savor the moment. I've been posting my musings on Facebook. Each week of Advent has a different theme/idea to focus on. The first week is HOPE. I started my Advent by using a Spode® Christmas mug I picked up a few years ago. My grandmother had at least a few matching pieces, and so it reminded me of childhood Christmas celebrations.



This week's theme has been difficult. Not because I cannot find anything to HOPE for, but because I found too much to hope for and more reasons for hope kept presenting themselves as the week went on. A couple of days into my Advent journey, I discovered that my Spode® mug was a bit too small to steep tea in, as it kept allowing the cotton string to wick the tea out of my mug. My coaster was soaked - it dried - as was my desk. The next mug I pulled out of my cabinet was one that has a couple of lines from Joy to the World. One line states "a thrill of hope; the weary world rejoices." I began to ponder these lines, especially the "thrill of hope" part. I had never really thought about how one can have a thrill of something, let alone hope. My first stop in researching this was the thesaurus. I found words such as adventure, inspiration, wallop, bang, fireworks, refreshment, sensation, and tingle. 



What would it mean to have an adventure of hope as we prepare to rejoice the coming of the Christ child? An inspiration of hope? A refreshment of hope? A sensation of hope? I think we all experience these not only in the Advent and Christmas season, but also in each of our personal journeys in life as a Christian. 

I tried, to no avail, to find a deeper, more hidden meaning to this line. I'm inclined to believe that whatever you're feeling in the moment of singing and thinking about the birth of Jesus is what a thrill is supposed to mean. Waiting is thrilling, and exhausting. It is an adventure at times, and it sure can pack a wallop. This may be the last day of focusing on hope in Advent, but hope will always carry with me through this thrill of a life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This World... Not of it.

What does that phrase mean? I've heard a lot of interpretations. One is that we, as Christians, should shy away from any and all influences of this world. We should not listen to any non-Christian music, we should not watch TV shows that do not have a "redeeming" purpose, and so on. While this is a worthy idea, it's not exactly sustainable. It also does not give us the ability to be "in this world" and instead creates a wall between Christians and "the world." This divides us from all others. If we are divided, separated, from the rest of the world, how can we possibly serve it? I've recently come to believe that "in the world, not of it" has a much deeper meaning than simply avoiding the sinful influences of the world. The world, especially now, will have us believe that we are in constant danger. There is a continual bombardment of messages telling us how bad the world is now. We are told that Muslims are the enemy. Immigrants are...

Experiences

I was talking to someone recently who voted opposite of me. She gave me her reasoning. Then told me "I've had enough experience to know." I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say. I felt like I'd been told that my own experiences weren't enough to understand "grown up" politics. She's only 3 years older than me! She also has no idea of what I've experienced.  Everyone's experiences in life shape who they are and how they see the world. Here are some of mine. I've sat with a teenaged mother as her not-even-a-week-old baby lay dying in his hospital bed. I've comforted a Buddhist woman whose Christian husband was in ICU. I've sat with a Hindu mother as she tried desperately to understand God's role in her baby's diagnosis with special needs. I've read Psalms with a Jewish man who was, rightfully, angry. I've moved 5 times in 5 years - 3 of those times was in one year. I've walked the beginning stag...

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the ...