Skip to main content

Making and Keeping Friends - Reflections

We had a good time chatting. We didn't always stay on-topic, but that's okay! We started with a game of "switch sides if..." It's a pretty simple game. The youth pick a wall from two opposite walls. The leader reads out a statement, such as "Switch sides if you prefer cake over pie." If you like cake better, you walk to the other side of the room. If you like pie better, you stay where you are. After each statement, those who moved talked about why they moved. We learned quite a bit about each other, and had fun, to boot. 

One of our congregation's members is very sick and has been in the hospital for several weeks, and will continue to be there for at least another few weeks. The youth spent time creating cards for her. They are also sponsoring a card shower for the congregation to participate in, as well. The youth will be collecting cards next week to be delivered along with the ones they made.
I didn't take pictures of the card-making process.
But here's some lovely homemade cards. http://bit.ly/1XqT4rQ

While they were creating, we talked about what it means to be a friend, and how to make new friends. We also talked about Jonathan & David's friendship, as well as Ruth & Naomi's - both Biblical friendships. One youth suggested that being reliable was a mark of friendship, and another countered saying that reliability isn't necessary for true friendship. I then asked if they might consider Peter a friend to Jesus and we discussed why or why not.

The discussion didn't go quite as I had expected, or planned, but that isn't the important part. The most important thing, to me, is that the youth find a space to ask questions and get honest, theologically-grounded, answers.



Photo source: http://bit.ly/1oJALlL

We ended the evening with "popcorn prayers." That is, one person starts off, and those who want to pray follow in succession. There is no true order, just prayers as they flow. It's a great way to pray, but it becomes difficult when not everyone wants to pray. For our next meeting, I want to have something that can be passed from person to person. The idea behind this is that everyone gets a moment to hold onto the object. They can pass it along if they don't want to pray out loud, but then I have a visual cue that everyone has been able to pray before the prayer wraps up.


The free-flow discussion format seems to work well with this group, although there are some who are rather quiet in group. For next week, I want to keep this format - start with a fun game, move into discussion, finish with prayer. I want to add an anonymous questions jar, and begin addressing the questions on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute. For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following: 25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces) 1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!) 100 vinyl non-powdered gloves 5 dozen eggs 1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!) 2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye 1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes) 1 party size bag chips 4.5 dozen cookies plastic tarp/sheeting plastic tablecloth shaving cream crayons gemstone stickers I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs. I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would le