Skip to main content

Making and Keeping Friends - Reflections

We had a good time chatting. We didn't always stay on-topic, but that's okay! We started with a game of "switch sides if..." It's a pretty simple game. The youth pick a wall from two opposite walls. The leader reads out a statement, such as "Switch sides if you prefer cake over pie." If you like cake better, you walk to the other side of the room. If you like pie better, you stay where you are. After each statement, those who moved talked about why they moved. We learned quite a bit about each other, and had fun, to boot. 

One of our congregation's members is very sick and has been in the hospital for several weeks, and will continue to be there for at least another few weeks. The youth spent time creating cards for her. They are also sponsoring a card shower for the congregation to participate in, as well. The youth will be collecting cards next week to be delivered along with the ones they made.
I didn't take pictures of the card-making process.
But here's some lovely homemade cards. http://bit.ly/1XqT4rQ

While they were creating, we talked about what it means to be a friend, and how to make new friends. We also talked about Jonathan & David's friendship, as well as Ruth & Naomi's - both Biblical friendships. One youth suggested that being reliable was a mark of friendship, and another countered saying that reliability isn't necessary for true friendship. I then asked if they might consider Peter a friend to Jesus and we discussed why or why not.

The discussion didn't go quite as I had expected, or planned, but that isn't the important part. The most important thing, to me, is that the youth find a space to ask questions and get honest, theologically-grounded, answers.



Photo source: http://bit.ly/1oJALlL

We ended the evening with "popcorn prayers." That is, one person starts off, and those who want to pray follow in succession. There is no true order, just prayers as they flow. It's a great way to pray, but it becomes difficult when not everyone wants to pray. For our next meeting, I want to have something that can be passed from person to person. The idea behind this is that everyone gets a moment to hold onto the object. They can pass it along if they don't want to pray out loud, but then I have a visual cue that everyone has been able to pray before the prayer wraps up.


The free-flow discussion format seems to work well with this group, although there are some who are rather quiet in group. For next week, I want to keep this format - start with a fun game, move into discussion, finish with prayer. I want to add an anonymous questions jar, and begin addressing the questions on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In This World... Not of it.

What does that phrase mean? I've heard a lot of interpretations. One is that we, as Christians, should shy away from any and all influences of this world. We should not listen to any non-Christian music, we should not watch TV shows that do not have a "redeeming" purpose, and so on. While this is a worthy idea, it's not exactly sustainable. It also does not give us the ability to be "in this world" and instead creates a wall between Christians and "the world." This divides us from all others. If we are divided, separated, from the rest of the world, how can we possibly serve it? I've recently come to believe that "in the world, not of it" has a much deeper meaning than simply avoiding the sinful influences of the world. The world, especially now, will have us believe that we are in constant danger. There is a continual bombardment of messages telling us how bad the world is now. We are told that Muslims are the enemy. Immigrants are...

Experiences

I was talking to someone recently who voted opposite of me. She gave me her reasoning. Then told me "I've had enough experience to know." I was so stunned, I didn't know what to say. I felt like I'd been told that my own experiences weren't enough to understand "grown up" politics. She's only 3 years older than me! She also has no idea of what I've experienced.  Everyone's experiences in life shape who they are and how they see the world. Here are some of mine. I've sat with a teenaged mother as her not-even-a-week-old baby lay dying in his hospital bed. I've comforted a Buddhist woman whose Christian husband was in ICU. I've sat with a Hindu mother as she tried desperately to understand God's role in her baby's diagnosis with special needs. I've read Psalms with a Jewish man who was, rightfully, angry. I've moved 5 times in 5 years - 3 of those times was in one year. I've walked the beginning stag...

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the ...