Skip to main content

Responsibilities, priorities, and stress - Lesson Prep

Our discussion last week wrapped up with talking about responsibilities and priorities. This seems like a fitting place to start this week's discussion. My plan is to have an opening game, a lesson game, and then a discussion based on what causes stress, what each of us can do to relieve or prevent some stress, and what the Bible says about priorities.


For the opening game, I got a beach ball from the Dollar Tree and wrote the numbers 1-100 on it. I have a list of 100 questions to go with each number. I'll toss the ball to one youth. They must then tell me the number under their right or left thumb. I will ask them the corresponding question, and then they answer. Some questions are of the "getting to know you" type, others are questions about being Lutheran, being Christian, or based on what is found in the Bible. I figure each student will go once, maybe twice depending on time.

Once that's wrapped up, I'm using an idea I got from the website Ministry to Youth. I'll have 4 different sized items that can be stacked. The idea is to lay the items out in various order four times, but only largest to smallest on the last time. The site says to have teams but, given the size of my group, I will be asking for four volunteers. Each person has to carry their stack from one end of the room to the other without dropping anything, exactly how it was lined up at the beginning of their turn. If they drop anything, they have to pick it up and start again. The person with the best time wins. I think I'll share my Chupa Chups lollipops for this (side note: I adore these lollipops and just found a bag, after many years of searching, at Dollar Tree), but every participant will get one, since this is an unfair competition.
Photo source: http://bit.ly/1No1ydy
This is a simple, fun visual showing how misplaced priorities can cause stress. Of course, the last person to go will inevitably win, because the biggest object was at the bottom of the stack, making things more stable. The largest object represents your biggest priority. By getting it under control, and putting it first, it makes everything else in life more stable.
This leads us to Matthew 6:31-34. It's main focus is worry - or rather, that we shouldn't worry. It tells us that God has a handle on this. I've gotten this lesson in life a few times already, and fully expect this lesson a few more times, if I'm being honest. Matthew 6:33 is especially helpful in this week's lesson. It says to put the kingdom - God - first and everything else will be fine. In other words, the kingdom of God should be our top priority. It should be like that biggest object from the contest/relay I mentioned earlier. Not only does it demand a higher amount of our attention, but it also is the foundation that stabilizes everything else that we need to focus on in life. Big test worth 30% of your grade coming up? Spend some time with God first. Trouble with a friend? Talk to Jesus. Chores, extracurricular activities, homework, and self-care (relaxation) all pulling you in what feels like a bunch of different directions? Take a breath, feel the Spirit move, and let God handle it.

Of course, "let God handle it" could feel like another daunting task in and of itself. How does one "let God handle it"? My best answer is to take it to God in prayer. Then, let God into your life by putting words to how you're feeling (or letting the Spirit intercede if there just aren't any words), and then opening yourself to allow God to work in your life. God knows what we need, when we need it - even better than we know ourselves. I find that comforting.

This topic could take days to cover. I like letting the youth direct the conversation. I imagine we'll talk about spiritual priorities - putting the kingdom first - as well as life priorities - doing homework or chores first, for example. Depending on how the conversation goes, I may have the youth take some sticky notes and write down some stresses or worries they have. There is a large cross in the room, and once each youth is finished writing, they can place the notes on the cross - symbolically giving the stress/worry in their lives to God.



For the end of our time together, I purchased a small wooden cross from Michael's this weekend. I am in the process of sanding and painting it. This will become our "prayer object" which I wrote about in an earlier post. Basically, each youth would hold the cross while they pray and then pass it to the next one. This, hopefully, will make the popcorn prayers go much more smoothly than they have.


I used chalkboard paint and a chalk pen. The words & symbols were stenciled.
My amazing "other half" did the drawings.
I also re-purposed a glass block I had here at home. It is now an anonymous submission jar. It can be for questions, thoughts, suggestions, ideas, a-ha moments, or really anything. I had quite a bit of scrap paper here, so that will be used for writing their thoughts down. I still plan to answer and respond to the submissions at least bi-weekly.


Finally, last night I received a request from church council to have the youth decorate a bulletin board at church. We can do anything we would like with it! My current plan is to bring my laptop in and show them some ideas, that is if they don't already have their own! I'm excited about this new project.

I can't wait for tonight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Crosses

One thing that's been catching my eye in worship lately has been just how many hidden crosses there are in just the sanctuary. I want to know how many crosses the youth see in the worship space. I want them to look beyond the purposeful and obvious crosses. After we tally the crosses we've spotted, we would head to the youth room. Once we are settled in the room, the first question I have for the youth is "What does it mean that there we found more crosses when we started to look for them?" I plan to focus on how Jesus can be found in the unexpected places. My second question for the youth is "Who is Jesus?" Have them write their answers, so no one is influenced by others' answers. Each youth will then open their Bible to Matthew 25:34-40 . I will have two volunteers read all the way through - one after the other. More questions for the youth: Who is hungry near you? How can you feed them? Is it possible someone is spiritually hungry

Thoughts and looking forward

It's been a bit since I've posted. Last week, I was away from the youth group for Princeton Seminary's Institute of Youth Ministry's annual forum. I got to hear from some amazing, brilliant people who really have a heart and understanding for youth ministry. I'm still processing it all! That will be another post, though. The week before, the youth had a jam-packed Wonderful Wednesday. It was our turn for clean-up after the meal. I didn't realize it would take quite as long as it did. That's one of my shortcomings - judging the amount of time it will take to do anything. I'd be chronically late to new places if it weren't for GPS telling me exactly how long it will take me to drive! I digress. We cleaned every pot, pan, knife, and spoon in the kitchen, as well as the tables and anything else we could get our hands on! I say we ... Really, the youth did most of the work.  Photo source: Cliparts After all of that cleaning, we played with the

Easter Egg Dyeing Party - Reflections

This one goes in the books as a "must do again"! We had a lot of fun, especially for something that got thrown together last-minute. For this year's party (which was actually more of a hang out), I bought the following: 25 clear plastic party cups (5 ounces) 1,000 toothpicks (I thought it said 100 - oops!) 100 vinyl non-powdered gloves 5 dozen eggs 1 gallon of vinegar (this was entirely too much!) 2 boxes of regular, assorted food dye 1 box of Neon food dye (We need at least 2 boxes) 1 party size bag chips 4.5 dozen cookies plastic tarp/sheeting plastic tablecloth shaving cream crayons gemstone stickers I found a chart for a lot of different colors you could make with food dye plus water & vinegar. I printed that out and one of the teens happily took charge of counting out the 20 or more drops of dye for each color. These produced wonderfully vibrant colors on the eggs. I showed the youth how to draw on the eggs with crayon which would le